Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Recipe #21 - Sausage & Egg Bake

We love to eat breakfast burritos for dinner (tortillas, eggs, sausage, hashbrowns & cheese), but it takes 3 pans to make and as good as they taste, I hate to clean up afterwards. I decided an egg bake might be a good alternative with relatively the same ingredients/result with less cleanup.

Recipe inspired by www.culinary.net Weekend Brunch Casserole


Ingredients
  • 1 8 ounce can refrigerated seamless dough sheet (you can also use 1 8oz can of crescent rolls if you don't have the seamless dough sheet --> you can get reduced fat crescent rolls, but I haven't found a reduced fat seamless sheet yet)
  • 1 pound reduced-fat sausage
  • 2 cups finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese (original recipe calls for mozzarella, but I like cheddar better)
  • 5 eggs, beaten (org. recipe calls for 4 eggs, but I like more eggs in an egg bake)
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp pepper
Directions
  • Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  • Cook and crumble sausage in a medium skillet over medium heat according to package instructions. Drain.
  • Line bottom of a greased 13x9 inch baking dish with the dough.
  • Sprinkle dough with sausage & cheese.
  • Combine remaining ingredients in mixing bowl until well blended. Pour mixture over the sausage and cheese.
  • Bake 15 minutes or until set. (It took mine about 20+ minutes.) Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting into squares.
  • Serve hot. Refrigerate leftovers. Enjoy!

Results
  • Delicious! I would absolutely make this again. Very easy and less cleanup!!
  • If you can see in the picture, the seamless crust was too large for my baking dish. I learned that my new favorite bluish purple large baking dish from Crate & Barrel is in fact NOT a 13x9 inch baking dish. I thought it was -- OOPS! :) Next time I will either just cut the crust to fit the pan or find a bigger dish. The crust on top burned and did not taste good.


No comments:

Post a Comment