Friday, September 7, 2012

Recipe #18 - Chicken Taco Bake

Since neither my husband nor I had a taste for anything for dinner yesterday, I stopped by the grocery store on the way home from work, hoping to find something good to make. When I got to the store, I had the overwhelming craving for my mom's chicken tacos, but I didn't really have time to cook/shred the chicken, so I improvised - canned chicken. I know some people are not big fans of canned chicken (it's not my favorite either) but I have found when you mix it with salsa, for some reason I am ok with it. 

Ingredients
2 cans (the big ones) of Swansons premium chunk chicken
1/2 cup salsa
8 corn tortillas
2 cups shredded Kraft Mexican blend cheese
Salt, pepper, other seasonings to taste

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. Drain the cans of chicken and put the chicken in a medium sized sauce pan over medium heat. The chicken is already cooked, but I like to mix everything together over heat before putting it in the tortillas.
3. Add the half cup of salsa to the chicken and stir. You can use whatever kind of salsa you would like. I used Old El Paso medium. You can also use as much or as little salsa as you would like to taste.
4. Add your seasonings. I added salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and dried cilantro. I think the chiken in a can doesn't have a whole lot of flavor, so I tried to add some flavor with these spices and seasonings. I would say I added no more than 1 tsp of each but it was really just a pinch of this and that.
5. Once the chicken mixture is mixed together and heated through, place a decent amount of mixture in the middle of a corn tortilla. Wrap the tortilla around the mixture and place the "open" side of the tortilla down to keep it together. Repeat this until you have used all of the tortillas and mixture placing each rolled tortilla side by side. You can use more or less tortillas depending on how much mixture you want in each taco.
6. Pour all 2 cups of cheese over the top of the tacos and place the dish in the oven.
7. Cook for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted nicely on top. Enjoy!

Results
I loved this. My husband did not think it was as great. He ate it, but probably not his favorite meal. I did mash up an avocado and made some guacamole to enjoy with my tacos. That probably made a HUGE difference as I LOVE avocado and all meals that I can have with avocado. My husband does not like avocado. I will put this meal on the list of foods to make when my husband is traveling for work and won't be home. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment