Sunday, January 22, 2012

Week 4 Recipe - Buffalo Chicken Roll Ups

I liked a little bit of three different recipes so I decided to combine them with a DELICIOUS outcome!

My recipe was created by combining the following recipes:



First, I made the Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken with a few changes.

Ingredients
3lb bag of frozen chicken breasts
3/4 cup Franks Original Red Hot Sauce
1/4 cup Low Sodium Chicken Broth
1 packet Ranch dip mix

The original recipe calls for the whole bottle of Franks sauce. She mentioned in her blog that the recipe was a little bit dry. Given that information and the fact that the last time I had a crockpot buffalo chicken recipe I thought it was a bit hot, I reduced the amount of hot sauce and added some chicken broth. I also omitted the butter. It worked out great!

Directions
1. Put all the ingredients in the crockpot.
2. Cook on low for 6-7 hours (or until chicken easily pulls apart).
3. Shred chicken with two forks then return to the crockpot.
4. Let the chicken cook for 1 additional hour to soak up the buffalo sauce.

I made the buffalo chicken on Friday and put in the fridge until I was ready for the rest of the recipe on Sunday.

Next step, I made the roll up filling using the mixture recipe from the buffalo chicken ring as a guideline.

Ingredients
2/3 of the mixture from the crock pot buffalo chicken
1 8 oz package of 1/3 less fat cream cheese
1/2 Ranch dip package


Directions
Finally, I put the mixture I made on top of 2 packages of reduced fat crescent rolls and baked them at 375 degrees for 11-13 minutes per the instructions on the crescent roll package (similar to the directions from the chicken roll up recipe).


The Results
  • This recipe is delicious! My husband and I enjoyed it for lunch on Sunday with a side of lite blue cheese dressing. I would absolutely make this recipe again!
  • I ended up with WAY too much filling for the crescents that I had. I would either need to add another package of crescents or reduce the amount of filling that I made. Bonus: I have leftover crockpot buffalo chicken for sandwiches later this week and I have leftover filling to use a dip! My freezer is getting full with all of these leftovers!
  • I tried wrapping the mixture with the crescent rolls two different ways: one loosely with lots of filling and the filling exposed and one with less filling and all wrapped up with little to no filling showing. Both ways were great! For the ones with extra filling, the crescent browned quicker. The opposite was true for the ones with less filling, I had to cook them 2 minutes extra. It just depends on whether you want to taste more crescent roll or more filling.
Left side: Less filling. Right side: More filling.

Another great week! Looking forward to another delicious recipe next week!


1 comment:

  1. looks amazing...I cannot wait to try this on Friday when my kids come over for dinner. Thank you for a great recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete