Monday, January 16, 2012

Week 3 Recipe - Spinach, Onion & Garlic Turkey Burgers

My best friend was telling me this past weekend how she was adding spinach to her morning smoothies to get additional vegetable servings in her diet. I had heard that "hiding" veggies in foods you love is a good trick, but I wasn't sure if I would like a fruit smoothie that was green in color.

A popular spinach recipe I keep coming across is spinach burgers. While at the store this weekend I didn't have a specific recipe in mind so I kind of made one up as I went along. (I am getting brave!)

This week's recipe was pretty uneventful. I mixed everything up, cooked it, and it was delicious!

Ingredients
1 lb Jennie-O 93/7 Groud Turkey
5 oz baby Spinach leaves, finely chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove
1 raw egg, slightly beaten
Trust me - they taste better than they look!

Directions
Mix all ingredients in a large bowl with your hands. Form 6 burger patties. Cook them on med to med-high heat until well done, about 6 minutes on each side. Enjoy! (I ate mine bunless with a small amount of dijon mustard, yum!)


Final Thoughts
  • I knew this would not be a recipe that my husband would eat (he's not big on spinach, onion nor garlic) so I figured this would be a good recipe to try while he is out of town. :) I only ate 1 of the 6 burgers. I put the uncooked leftovers in the freezer in plastic baggies. My thought is I can heat them up in the future as burgers or add them to marinara sauce for a nice twist on traditional spaghetti.

  • This recipe was a success! I would definitely make it again (maybe adding a pinch of salt).
For week 4 I have a request from my husband - Buffalo Chicken Bites that we can eat while we watch the football games on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment