Friday, February 10, 2012

Week 6 Recipe - ***Super Bowl Edition***

In the spirit of cooking more this year instead of ordering out, we are having a homemade Super Bowl spread! We are mixing a few old recipes with a few new or revamped ones.

The Spread
Jr. Pub Burgers
Healthier 7-Layer Dip with Baked Scoops
Pepperoni Pizza Roll-Ups New
Pita Chips/Pretzel Chips with Hummus Dip
Carrots, Celery & Cherry Tomatoes with Salad Dressing Dips
Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats
Yes, I know the Bears aren't in the Super Bowl this year, but I am still using my plates today!
Jr. Pub Burgers
A few months ago my husband and I found these great pre-cut pub burgers at our local Jewel. We season them with a little bit of Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning and Omaha Steaks Seasoning. I cook them in a pan until they reach the safe internal temperature of 160 degrees (as recommended by the USDA). If you are in the mood for a great hamburger, these are wonderful!
They were so good we ate them so fast I didn't even get a finished product picture!

Healthier 7-Layer Dip with Baked Scoops
I LOVE 7-layer dip. I made a few adjustments to my regular recipe to make it a little bit healthier and accomodate my husband's preferences.

I used an 8x8 glass pan for this recipe. You can use whatever container you would like and adjust the recipe to fit the container and accommodate your taste preferences. Personally, I am not a huge fan of beans, but I LOVE the sour cream portion and I would add guacamole between the bean and sour cream layer (but my husband hates guacamole, so it is left out this time).

Ingredients
3/4 can fat free refried beans
3/4 container of 8oz light sour cream
3/4 package 40% less sodium Old El Paso taco seasoning
2 cups salsa
2% sharp cheddar cheese
sliced black olives

Directions
Spread a thin layer of refried beans on the bottom of the pan. Next, combine the sour cream & the taco seasoning. Then spread the sour cream mixture over the refried bean mixture. I like to put this in the fridge a this point to let the bottom layers gel together. When I am ready to serve the dip, I spread the salsa on top, then the cheese and finally the olives. Serve with Baked Scoops or any other tortilla chip or cracker you prefer. Enjoy!

Pepperoni Pizza Roll-Ups
If you have read my blog at all, you can guess where I found this recipe...Pinterest! :)This recipe appears several times on the site but I tried the one on www.plainchicken.com.

Ingredients
1 can refrigerated crescent rolls (I use the reduced fat version)
40 slices of pepperoni (You can use the turkey pepperoni, but I don't like it)
4 pieces of mozzarella string cheese cut in half (Huge fan of 2% Sargento)
garlic powder
pizza sauce

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Unroll crescent rolls and separate into 8 triangles. Place 5 slices of turkey pepperoni on each crescent roll. Top pepperoni with string cheese half and roll up. Sprinkle crescent rolls with garlic powder. Place rolls on baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with a side of warm pizza sauce (or cool Ranch!).

Pita Chips/Pretzel Chips with Hummus Dip
Store bought hummus dip, pita chips (for the hubs) & pretzel chips (for me). Simple as that!

Carrots, Celery & Cherry Tomatoes with Salad Dressing Dips
I have spent all the $$$ in the past to buy the pre-made veggie trays from the grocery store. Typically, we only like 1-2 veggies in mix and the dip is high fat so I made my own this year! Carrots, celery & cherry tomatoes with fat free basalmic vinagrette or light ranch. Yum!!!

Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats
Leftover from my Week 5 Recipe - Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats. SOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOD!




No comments:

Post a Comment